Saturday 16 October 2021

Dragonfly Garden Masked

 



It's time for another hop with:



This month the theme is a Sketch Challenge!




One of the first things I learned when stamping, was to make a mask. You can do this really easily using Post It notes or scrap paper. Simply place the Post It notes or scrap paper over the area you want to keep uncoloured. Then using your choice of blending brushes, daubers, sponges, brayers etc. colour the area that doesn't have the Post It notes or scrap paper covering it.


You could have a coloured strip across the middle (like I have with this card) or at the top or bottom or diagonally! You could even have more than one coloured area, mask the middle only and then colour the top and bottom!


For my card, I decided to make it a little fancier by using a triangular mask from the Plenty of Patterns Decorative Masks and then masked the top and bottom of the card with scrap paper. I was really happy with how it turned out!!




Card Measurements

Card base:    29.7cm x 10.5cm scored at 14.9cm and folded


Instructions

  • Mask top and bottom of card base front using scrap paper and some washi tape to keep it all in place
  • Add triangular mask over open area in the middle and adhere with washi tape to make sure it won't move
  • Colour uncovered area
  • Carefully remove washi tape and masks
  • Stamp image/s on front of card base over coloured area
  • Stamp sentiment on front of card base under coloured area
  • Stamp image on inside back of card base



As I was typing this blog, I realised my card didn't really meet the challenge. I was trying to figure out how to show the layers on a single layer card. Deciding to change the mask to vertical, met the light gray layer (in reverse). Then I used it horizontally again. Fail!!! Still not meeting the challenge.





Finally I tried masking vertically (in reverse again), then two horizontal masks (only partial width). I think this meets the sketch, but I'm not particularly happy with the result (the bottom horizontal is on a slight slant and the green has turned out murky)!





Never mind, you get 3 for 1!! Also, I think it's good to show how they don't always work how you planned!

Anyway, please check out all the other wonderful blogs listed below. They probably got theirs right!! hahaha





Thanks for stopping by my blog. Let me know which one you preferred!

Cheers
Deb xx



Product List

12 comments:

  1. Love your take on a interesting layout..Can I please case your idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele, I'd be honoured for you to case it!

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous interpretation of the sketch. Thanks for hopping with us this month

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love your interpretation of the sketch, such a pretty card Deb! 🌷 Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of these, but I think I like the first one the best. Now I think I need those masks!
    Nancy, Denver CO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! The top one is my absolute favorite, but they are all great! I need to do some masking this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb, I love the stamp set and your card! I want to CASE this card in the future. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog, it is most appreciated!